So it all started when I was getting into bed on Wednesday night at about 11pm. I felt this weird sort of cramplike pain in the dead center of my stomach. I thought for sure I ate something bad or it was just indegestion and would be gone by morning. But I woke up with the same pain. I was able to do everything like normal, I went visiting teaching and took the kids to the park. But at 3 pm the pain just switched to high gear. I even called Chad and asked him to come home early from school to help w the kids (which I never do). I called the Dr. and this is the first time ever (really) that they specifically told me I'm probably fine and recommended NOT to go to the ER. (I think they always tell us to go just so they are "off the hook"). Anyway so I was convinced I was fine and just had to wait out the constant pain. By about 9:00 pm I couldn't take it anymore and called my Mom who begged me along w Chad to go in to the ER. I wanted to go but litteraly didn't know how I would get there bc I literally couldn't move.
Anyway once again to our rescue, Erika came just in time and we were already in the car ready to go to the hospital. In the ER lobby I didn't care what anyone thought. I was sprawled out on a bench and then vomitted in front of everyone. When they called me in I was just begging for some pain killer. They kept telling me I would get some soon and would be very comfortable. I couldn't wait and kept telling Chad I was just waiting for my body to just pass out bc of the pain. "What happens when I just can't take this pain anymore?" Well they gave me Morphine (SP?) and nothing. Few minutes later gave me more...nothing. I was still in the same amount of pain. And this point I was just groaning and moaning constantly aloud, while kicking my legs. And for some reason when ever the DR. came in there was like four or five others with them and they would all just stare at me and ask me questions even though I couldn't talk. I didn't care though, my pain was in control, not me. They switched me into a new room and just in time for everyone to see and hear again I threw up in the hall, so everyone at least got a glimpse. EMBARRASSING! They took a very long "camera ultra sound" to see if I had an Atopic (sp?) pregnancy (basically, pregnant in the tube), or appendicitis. At this point it had been almost two hours from the time I THOUGHT the pain would be gone. The results were unconclusive, so they informed me they were going to put a scope camera in my belly button and perform what ever surgery was needed (removing the atopic pregnancy or my appendix). They finally gave me a third dose of morphine and I was able to relax and even sleep a little. Poor Chaddy was so tired and uncofortable all night.
So they took me in to the surgery room at about 2:45 AM and put me under. (WEIRD) When I woke up I remember the nurse informing me I had a nasty inflamed appendix and so that was the problem. I asked her how long the surgery was and she said, "about an hour honey and I've told you that ten times, please just go to sleep!" I kept groaning in pain and she informed me she had given me the max of pain killer and sleeping pills and she could not believe I was awake. I must have been annoying her like crazy bc she kept begging me to stop talking and go to sleep! Anyway I got into my recovery room at about 4 Am and Chaddy was snoring as soon as his face hit that couch.
I just got home today (I stayed the next night) at about 3:30pm and am feeling much better, well at least while I am on meds :) Everyone has been so so sweet to help with the kids, dinners, and volunteer babysitting. I honestly don't know what we would do wo Erika living so close and such a supportive ward. We are really glad that it wasn't an atopic pregnancy and they caught it before it burst! What a blessing all this modern medical technology!
Something that really lifted my spirits was hearing that Doug and Amber Doxey (my sister) got a residency program in New Jersey and Pennsilvania and my sister Karla is pregnant with her first. I am so so excited! So congrats to all of you!
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Laura! That's crazy! They passed around sign ups to watch your kids Wednesday, so I think I might get them in the afternoon. :) How long is your recovery supposed to be?
Oh, and Congrats to Karla! I'd call her, but I never get a response...
And awesome for Amber and Doug! What school in NJ? Ryan served his mission there (same as Kristal).
Oh wow! That is so scary! I am glad you are feeling better. Reading your story makes me feel like a wimp complaining about the pink eye I have! I hope you continue to feel better!
Yikes I am sorry! I'm glad it worked out though. I heard you are maybe going to come to Lake powell with us...please do that would be so fun!
so sorry, hope you are feeling better!
Wow! Lots happening in your fam! Yucky stay at the hospital! Glad you're doing better! And congrats to both Doug and Amber, and Karla! Yay!
oh my gosh! I am so sorry. Glad that you are ok. YOur family seems to have an affinity for hospitals and urgent cares! :)
The last comment was from me (Melissa)
Oh my!! holy Cow!! I'm SOoo sorry you had to go through that! I can't imagine! I'm glad it's all taken care of now and that you are feeling better! :0)
Post a Comment